Richard W. Schwartz
Rick has been a Partner at Tapper Cuddy LLP since 1992. His focus areas of practice consist of Bankruptcy & Insolvency, Commercial and Civil Litigation, Employment Law, Estate Litigation, and Professional Liability Litigation.
Rick is listed in Best Lawyers Canada, which is the oldest and most highly-respected peer review guide to the legal profession worldwide, for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring matters. He is also listed in Lexpert, a comprehensive guide to legal talent in Canada, as a leading Insolvency Litigation practitioner.
He is regularly engaged by organizations including PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., MNP Ltd., Keith G. Collins Ltd., the Professional Liability Claims Fund, various financial institutions, and other international, national, and local companies and firms. Rick also frequently appears in both levels of civil court in Manitoba, and has twice appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada.
He is a member of the Manitoba and the Canadian Bar Associations, a past chair of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency section of the Manitoba Bar Association, and a past member of the executive committee of the Bankruptcy & Insolvency section of the Canadian Bar Association. Rick is a frequent lecturer at forums and conferences organized by the Manitoba Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals and the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals. He is or has been a member of various other professional organizations including INSOL International, the Canadian Insolvency Foundation, the editorial board of the National Creditor/Debtor Review, the Manitoba Bankruptcy Court Practices Committee, and the Law Society of Manitoba’s practice review panel.
- Called to the Manitoba Bar, 1983
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy & Insolvency
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Estate Litigation
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Manitoba, 1982
- Bachelor of Arts (Administrative Studies), University of Winnipeg, 1977
- Partner, Tapper Cuddy LLP, 1992 -
- Regularly engaged by PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., MNPLLP, Keith G. Collins Ltd., the Professional Liability Claims Fund, various financial institutions, and other international, national, and local companies and firms
- Frequently appears in both levels of the superior court in Manitoba, and twice before the Supreme Court of Canada
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair, Bankruptcy & Insolvency section, Manitoba Bar Association
- Past Member, Executive Committee of the Bankruptcy & Insolvency, Canadian Bar Association
- Counsel, Manitoba Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (MAIRP)
- Frequent Lecturer, MAIRP and CAIRP (the national association of insolvency professionals) functions and seminars
- Former Member, CAIRP Small Practice Committee
- Member, INSOL International
- Member, Canadian Insolvency Foundation
- Member, editorial board of the National Creditor/Debtor Review
- Member, Manitoba Bankruptcy Court Practices Committee
- Learning Group Facilitator, Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education
- Member, Law Society of Manitoba's practice review panel