Alfred "Fred" Thiessen
Fred is a Partner at Tapper Cuddy LLP, with a practice focused on Labour and Employment Law and Civil Litigation. Fred has a wide variety of clients, providing advice to unions, associations and employee clients on all aspects of the employment relationship – from drafting and negotiating employment contracts and collective agreements to navigating the discipline and termination process. Fred’s advocacy has seen him make appearances before all levels of Manitoba Courts, the Federal Court of Canada as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. Fred also routinely makes appearances before a number of statutory Boards and Tribunals including, arbitration and adjudication boards, The Manitoba Labour Board, The Canada Labour Board and the Manitoba Human Rights Commission.
In addition to his labour and employment practice, Fred also dedicates time a number community and legal organizations, acting as general counsel to a number of First Nations and Aboriginal organizations and serves as an Appeals Officer under The Youth Drug Stabilization Act, and Director of the Children’s Rehabilitation Foundation.
In his spare time, you’ll find Fred exploring the wild with his wife and their two Labrador Retrievers: Milly and Jack.
- Called to the Manitoba Bar, 2006.
Areas of Practice
- Juris Doctor, University of Manitoba, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of Winnipeg, 2001
- Partner, Tapper Cuddy, LLP 2015 -
- Associate, Tapper Cuddy LLP, 2006- 2014
- Articling and Summer Student, Tapper Cuddy LLP, 2004- 2006
- Appearance before the Supreme Court of Canada, 2008
- Appearances at all levels of court in Manitoba, including: the Provincial Court, the Court of Queen’s Bench, and the Court of Appeal
- Appearances before the Federal Court of Canada
- Appearances before a number of statutory Boards and Tribunals, including: The Manitoba Labour Board, The Canada Labour Board, the Workers’ Compensation Board, the Automobile Injury Compensation Commission, the Manitoba Human Rights Commission, the Office of the Vulnerable Persons Commissioner
- Appearances before labour arbitrations and adjudications
- General counsel, labour and employment matters to union and association clients
- General Counsel to a number of First Nations and Aboriginal Organizations
- Appeals Officer under The Youth Drug Stabilization Act, 2008-Present
- Keynote speaker, Manitoba Hydro Professional Engineers Association (MHPEA) 2017 Annual General Meeting
- Director, Children's Rehabilitation Foundation, 2015 -
Follow me on